The principal of Bergview College in Matatiele has submitted a DNA sample in connection with the rape of a seven year old learner in October last year.
Police Minister Senzo Mchunu confirmed this on Monday, saying that he was one of three suspects implicated in their investigation.
Last week, the Eastern Cape education department served the independent school with a notice to deregister for its apparent handling of the incident.
Vuyiseka Mboxela, the spokesperson for Education MEC, Fundile Gade, said a rape case was opened in October 2024 and to this date the matter has not yet made progress.
She said the department was concerned with the school principal's apparent refusal to cooperate with the police.
Mboxela said school officials, who were served with the notice from department officials on Friday, signed an acknowledgement of receipt.
She said the department would assist with the placement of learners at other schools.
Meanwhile, the Speaker to the Eastern Cape Provincial Legislature, Helen Sauls-August welcomed the progress on the rape investigation of the victim, known in the media only as Cwecwe.
“We welcome the update from SAPS that the DNA samples have finally been collected from all suspects, and this development marks an important milestone that will assist in the identification of perpetrators and bring justice for Cwecwe.
“Law enforcement agencies should use legal instruments to expedite their investigations when suspects refuse to cooperate.
"This would help bring confidence into the work of the Police that sexual assault cases are prioritised and for the victims to see suspects of alleged crimes brought to before the law,” she said adding that the suspects within the school should now be suspended and barred from school premises until the conclusion of the investigation.