File
Police management dispatched the head of its Family Violence, Child Protection, and Sexual Offences Unit to oversee the probe into the rape of a little girl in Matatiele in the Eastern Cape.
The incident, which occurred last year, is making headlines after the Eastern Cape education department said it is seeking to deregister the Bergview College in the town where the child was a learner.
No one has been arrested and there has been slow progress in the case, which involves the daughter of a female police officer.
National police spokesperson, Brigadier Athlenda Mathe, said major-general Mmantsheke Lekhele was meeting with the investigating team to ensure that “due diligence was conducted” in this case and that the “chain of evidence was properly preserved.”
General Lekhele will meet with persons of interest, and key stakeholders such as the NPA to ensure justice and the finalisation of the matter.
“The SAPS assures the nation that justice will prevail and those that are found to be guilty of any offence will be brought to book,” Mathe said.
Meanwhile, several marches have been held or, will be held, to call for justice for the little girl.
A big group of people marched in East London on Tuesday, presenting a memorandum to Buffalo City metro mayor, Princess Faku, who condemned gender-based violence.
Marches are also being planned for this week in Nelson Mandela Bay.