Thulisile Mapongwana
A large group of people held a march in Buffalo City Metro on Tuesday calling for justice for a seven-year-old girl who was allegedly raped in Matatiele last year.
The matter has escalated following the Eastern Cape Department of Education's application to deregister Bergview College, the independent school where the incident allegedly occurred.
The department cited the school's failure to provide a safe environment and the principal's lack of cooperation with law enforcement as reasons for this action.
The alleged assault took place in October 2024 while the young girl was waiting for her transport after school.
According to reports, she was instructed by the school's caretaker to clean a classroom, during which the incident occurred. The child later recounted that she became unconscious and only awoke when informed that her transport had arrived.
The National Community Dialogues organised the march in East London. Founder Leonard Ncumbese was among the hundreds who handed over a memorandum, with scores of people carrying placards and shutting down part of Oxford Street in front of City Hall.
Some of the demands in the memorandum include no bail for rapists, in-service training for police to handle rape cases better, and awareness programmes to educate communities on rape culture.
Buffalo City Mayor Princess Faku, who received the memorandum, called for justice for the little girl.
“Although this incident did not happen in Buffalo City, it affects all of us. Our children are no longer safe in this country. Women are no longer safe in this country.”
“We want to call on the President of the country and the ANC to declare a state of disaster. Enough is enough. We are saying government must come up with a strategy to deal with gender-based violence.”
Addressing the crowd filled with university students and little school children among others, Faku said anyone accused of rape must never be released on bail.
“We are demanding life sentences for all accused and sentenced for rape.”
She said the Metro was receiving the memorandum and would do a follow-up.
“We are committing ourselves as BCM to work with all NGOs and religious leaders to come up with a solution.”
“We want to call the provincial government of the Eastern Cape. We want a standstill in this city until that principal is removed and sentenced...Our children will not suffer under our leadership.”
The Police Ministry has confirmed that two Bergview College staff members are suspects in the case and assures the public that the investigation is being handled with the utmost seriousness and priority.